The Woodlands Sports Medicine Centre
Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine located in The Woodlands, TX & Conroe, TX
Bracing and orthotics can help ease pain and heal injuries by stabilizing the area and supporting the structures correctly. If you have foot, ankle, knee, or lower back problems, The Woodlands Sports Medicine Centre in The Woodlands, Texas, can provide custom braces and orthotics to suit your exact requirements. Find out more by calling The Woodlands Sports Medicine Centre today or schedule an appointment using the online tool.
Bracing & Orthotics Q & A
What is Bracing and Orthotics?
Orthotic braces offer support and relief to parts of your body that are weak because of injury or surgery. In most cases, you only need to wear braces for a short time, but certain kinds of braces can treat chronic conditions, helping to relieve pain.
You can buy over-the-counter braces for home use, and they can offer some relief for minor injuries. However, for more complex conditions, you should consult The Woodlands Sports Medicine Centre who has specialist expertise in making and fitting orthotic braces.
Orthotic braces can make a significant difference in your quality of life. They speed up the healing process and improve your mobility, and are also a highly cost-effective treatment.
What Conditions Can Bracing and Orthotics Treat?
There are numerous conditions that can benefit from bracing and orthotics. Examples include:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Flat fleet
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic ankle sprains
- Lateral compartment syndrome
- Chronic lower back pain
- Degenerative disc disease
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Bracing can also help with common ligament injuries in the knee, like ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament) sprains.
What Types of Bracing and Orthotics are There?
There are several kinds of bracing and orthotics you can use, depending on where your injury is:
- Foot Orthotics: Foot orthotics are custom insoles you wear inside your shoes. They correct the specific abnormality in your foot and properly support areas of damage.
- Ankle Foot Orthotics (AFO): Ankle foot orthotics brace both your foot and ankle. They’re typically custom-designed for you from a cast impression of your leg.
- Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis (KAFO): A KAFO brace supports your knee, ankle, and foot. Like the AFO, this device is custom made to suit your specific needs. KAFO braces help when you have paralysis or severe muscle weakness, or after a stroke, spinal injury, or head injury.
- Knee Orthotics (KO): Knee orthotics support joints affected by ligament or tendon injuries and can be an effective alternative to knee surgery or joint replacement.
- Hip Orthosis (HO): Hip orthotics typically prevent hip dislocation after hip replacement surgery. They can also act as additional support for knee or KAFO braces.
- Spinal Orthosis: Spinal orthotics (back braces) support your spine. They range from simple elasticated support devices for your lower back to more complex custom braces.
- Wrist and Hand Orthotics (WHO): Wrist and hand orthotics can support your wrist, hand, or both, when you have an injury to the soft tissues or you’ve had surgery.
If you have a musculoskeletal condition that you think would benefit from bracing and orthotics, call The Woodlands Sports Medicine Centre today or book an appointment online.
Shoulder Injuriesmore info
Hip Injuriesmore info
Knee Injuriesmore info
Foot & Ankle Injuriesmore info
Hand & Wrist Injuriesmore info
ACL Repairmore info
Arthroscopic Surgerymore info
Pain Managementmore info
Spinal Surgerymore info
Sports Injuriesmore info
Joint Replacement Surgerymore info
Worker’s Compensationmore info
On-Site Imagingmore info
Bracing & Orthoticsmore info
Total Knee Replacementmore info
Anterior Total Hip Replacementmore info
Back & Neck Painmore info